Planning a summer evening? Need activities to keep you company?
Board games are always a good idea to kill time while having fun! I know monopoly or chess might be the first thing that comes to mind. However, believe it or not, there are plenty of cool board games out there other than the classic games.
Here are some extravagant board games you can enjoy over the summer and help you and your friends bond:
Starting with my favorite, Mastermind is a board game about cracking codes. This classic code hacking game can be played in several different ways. However, the most common one requires two players: a codemaker and a codebreaker. The goal of the codemaker is to create the perfect code that no one can break. On the other hand, the codebreaker should try to break the code in as few guesses as possible. The game includes 96 colored pawns in 8 different colors. The codebreaker wins if he manages to break the code in 12 guesses. However, if it fails to do so, the codemaker ends up winning.
Ps: first you have to decide who will be the first codemaker, i.e. the person sitting behind the rotating end of Mastermind with the codebreaker directly in front.
Jenga is really fun because literally anyone can play it, regardless of age. The rules are quite simple! To create the initial tower, stack all the blocks in levels of three placed next to each other, as in the image above. Now take turns taking a block from any level of the tower and placing it on the highest level. However, you should know that you cannot take a block from the level just below the incomplete upper level. Also, you can only use one hand at a time, so be sure to put one hand aside while you play.
Players take turns continuing until the tower falls. The player who knocked it down loses. The best thing about this game is that there is no maximum number of players possible, so the whole team can participate! No one will have to make any sacrifices!
Scrabble, the most famous crossword game in the world! Here’s how to play:
- Place all letters in the pocket and draw for the first game. The player with the letter closest to “A” begins. Now put the letters back in the pocket.
- Each player then draws 7 new letters and places them on their locker.
- The first player combines 2 or more of their letters to form a word on the board.
- After playing, be sure to draw the same number of played letters from the sleeve. The rack must have 7 letters at all times.
- The next player adds one or more letters to those on the board to form a new word and so on…
This is just a brief summary of the rules. However, if you want to learn more about the rules and scoring, be sure to check out their website by clicking here!
4. Monopoly Agreement
Unlike the classic Monopoly board game, this one is quite different since it is made up of cards. You should know that the monopoly deal is all about collecting properties and robbing your opponents. The object of the game is to collect 3 full sets of different properties to win. Here are the quick basics:
- Shuffle the cards and deal 5 cards to each player.
- Place the remaining cards face down in the center.
- The first player begins by drawing two cards and then plays 3 on the table.
- Make a bank stack for your money and leave a side for property collection.
- Property cards and money are played in front of you while action cards are played in the center.
Although the action cards contain clear instructions, you can always click here to learn more! Also, don’t worry, I have to admit that the game is quite complicated at first. However, once you get the hang of it, it becomes super interesting and fun!
Let’s face it, dominoes never get old! I’m sure everyone is already familiar with the game. However, if not, don’t worry. Here’s a quick little video that explains it all:
6. Express yourself
To be honest, it’s really fun! The objective of the game is to succeed in guessing sentences to win cards. The team with the most cards wins. Here is a brief summary of how to play:
- The first player puts the mouthpiece in their mouth and flips the hourglass.
- Then he draws a card and reads it aloud.
- He must keep repeating the phrase until one of his teammates guesses it or the timer runs out.
- If one of his teammates guesses the sentence before the time runs out, the player takes another card and continues.
- After the time is up, the player must remove their mouthpiece, then the other team can switch turns.
- After each player has taken 2 turns, the game is over.
And that’s really it! A very simple yet fun game to play while hanging out with your best friends!
7. Cards Against Humanity
There are different editions of this game depending on the age. However, the rules of the game are essentially the same:
- Each player draws 10 white cards.
- A random player is chosen to be the judge and plays a black card.
- He then reads the question or the sentence to be completed aloud.
- Everyone else responds with their funniest white card by passing it face down to the judge.
- The judge shuffles all the white cards, then reads each of them aloud.
- Later, he chooses a favorite, and whoever played it keeps the black card as a point!
8. Quick Slingshot Washer
Last but not least, the easiest of all: the fast slingshot puck.
- Each player places 5 pucks on his side.
- Use the rubber band to send pucks to the other side of the board using one hand.
- Aim for the hole in the board and let the game begin!
The first player without pucks on his side wins. Although this game only needs two players, the spectators will cheer, shout and go crazy. Moreover, you can also organize tournaments so that all players have the chance to play!